In 1926 the Ayr Surf Lifesaving Club opened its first clubhouse at Alva Beach. The first building was donated by the Kalamia Mill (sugar mill) after a former employee had tragically drowned. His workmates rounded up 37 pounds to give to his family who in turn forwarded the money to the club to use for a memorial for their son. It was used to start a surf lifesaving Club. In its’ inception the club was known as the Donaldson and Lower Burdekin Surf Lifesaving Club and became affiliated with the head centre of the SLS of Australia in Sydney. Later its name was changed to the Ayr SLSC. The club prospered and became an integral part of the community.
The war took its toll on the club with numbers drastically falling. However the spirit never died and as today we have a strong hold of families that have kept the club alive and thriving. It has generated its fair share of champions in all fields and with the changing sand dunes which it is famous for every day it’s different! It forges forward.